Friday, March 12, 2010

Fish Are Friends, and Food

Seafood is probably one of my biggest weaknesses in this world. Luscious, delicate, scrumptious. I could spend a fortune on seafood. However, I would have to eat it in a couple of days because that stuff goes bad fast! If I were to go to my favorite sushi restaurant, Kohnami, I could easily spend at least 40 bucks on unagi rolls, shrimp tempura rolls, and spicy tuna rolls. Good thing I do that every several months. And forget about me going to Whole Foods, I'll buy salmon candy, unagi sashimi, lobster dip, crab dip, shrimp, scallops, more whole salmon. That's why I try to stay away from it when I go there, but really, the only reason I go to Whole Foods is to get my seafood, and maybe some chocolate truffles here and there. The point is, seafood is the amazing, expensive, but amazing.
I have a few recipes I'd like to share with everyone! First, is my family's favorite, Maple-Glazed Salmon. It's marinated in soy sauce, garlic, ginger, and of course, maple syrup. Second, Sauteed Scallops with Veggies. I made this is my Catering class. It is sauteed in bacon, garlic, onions, asparagus, and lemon juice. Finally, Pineapple and Coconut Rice. This was also made in my Catering class. It's pretty self explanatory, and I realize it's NOT seafood, but you always need a side, so HA!

Maple-Glazed Salmon

Ingredients:
-1 lb of salmon
-1 cup of maple syrup
-1/2 cup of soy sauce
-1/4 cup of teriyaki sauce
-2 cloves of garlic, minced
-2 tbsp of ginger, minced
-Pepper TT (to taste)

Directions:
-Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
-In a bowl, mix together the syrup, soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, garlic, ginger, and pepper.
-Place salmon in the marinade and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
-In a casserole dish, line with aluminum foil, trust me, it easy to clean, and hot syrup with thicken and turn into a candy like substance within seconds after you take it out of the oven. So line with aluminum foil.
-Place salmon and marinade in casserole dish and cook for 20 minutes.
-Check fish, if done, take out, and serve with mashed potatoes. Mashed potatoes taste so good with the sauce! Enjoy!

Sauteed Scallops with Veggies

Ingredients:
-6 fresh scallops
-4 strips of bacon, diced
-Half an onion, small diced
-2 cloves of garlic, minced
-4 tbsp of butter
-4 asparagus (after cooked, slice small)
-Juice of a lemon
-Salt TT

Directions:
-Put on a pot of water and bring to a boil. Have a bowl of ice water standing by. Place asparagus in boiling water, blanch it for about 5 minutes. After 5 minutes take it out of the pot and put it in the ice water bowl.
-Over medium high heat, add the diced bacon to a large skillet. After a few minutes, add the onion and let cook for a couple more minutes, then add the garlic and butter. While that is cooking, slice the asparagus. For two of the asparagus, only cut half way, and save for presentation (will still add to the skillet to cook), add the asparagus.
-Place your scallops in the pan. Add the juice of the lemon, and throw the rinds in the skillet, all the oils will come out from the peel as it cooks. Add salt to taste.
-The scallops will take about 4-5 minutes on each side.
-Put on a platter or plate, and place the halved asparagus over the dish.
-Enjoy!

Pineapple-Coconut Rice

Ingredients:
-1 cup of medium grain rice
-2 cups of rice
-4 oz can of pineapples, small diced, size of rice (if you can't find one, use an 8 oz, however you only need half a cup)
-1/2 cup of coconut milk
-2 tsp of cinnamon

Directions:
-Bring water to a boil with rice in it. Turn down heat to low and cover.
-When rice is done, about 15 minutes, add the pineapple, coconut milk and cinnamon. Stir and cook all ingredients added. Make sure not to burn the rice!
-Serve and enjoy!

I really hope you try these recipes. Hopefully, you will love them as much as I do.
Remember, fish are friends, and food.

“Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I’m halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh my God....I could be eating a slow learner.”
-Lyndon B. Johnson

1 comments:

emily said...

can't wait to try the maple-glazed yummyness! i am going to try it on tilapia, cuz we have a bunch of that. yum! can't wait. and i like your background, by the way. you're welcome. :0) love you sis!