Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Starving College Student

Yes, behold, the poor post. I knew this post would come. I am a very starving college student, and it doesn't help that I obsess over food. For the past few weeks, I feel like I have been doing well maintaining my food budget. As Dave Ramsey likes to call it, "Living on a rice and beans." Which I have had rice with almost all my meals. The other day I made one of my favorite poor meals. You buy chicken breast, Picante salsa, pepper jack cheese, rice, limes, and cilantro. Super cheap and you can omit the cilantro and lime juice if you want. You place the chicken in a casserole dish squeeze one whole lime on top and dump a whole jar of salsa evenly on the chicken. Bake at 425 for about 25 minutes. With the rice add 2 limes and a handful of cilantro. With the last five minutes of the chicken place sliced cheese on top of each breast. Put the rice down first on the plate then on top add the chicken and salsa juicy goodness. I spent about $20 and made enough for six people. This was for Easter dinner this Sunday. All of us poor kids sitting on the couch, watching stand up, eating Mexican food on Easter. That's a memory right there.
So there's a little poor recipe right there. And if you make enough rice You can poor salsa on top and cheese. There was a sale at Safeway 2 jars for $5 so of course I got two! So I think I might have that for dinner tonight. Well, just as long as TJ's room mates don't eat my cheese, salsa, or rice, I should be good. Ok vent session: Someone ate my Pumpkin chocolate chip bread over there, and I found out that his roommate ate the pizza I bought on Saturday. There was a whole pizza!!! Ugh I was so mad! Why can't people respect other people's belongings and property. Room mates are the worst! Well, not all room mates. I love my room mate, Shannon. But I just can't stand people who don't respect my property. I spent money and that, not TJ, so it's my things. I'm not leaving my stuff over there anymore. End scene. I feel better.

So anyway, the life of a poor college student. Times have been hard with the lack of money. And I hate getting paid sometimes, which I know is weird, but when I do I want to spend it all. Celebrate, reward myself. Then after two days, half my paycheck is gone. UGHHHH!! It's fine though. I have one more week before my next paycheck and I have to make $50 work with gas and food. Ha wish me luck. I told TJ last night that this week it's going to be a lot of "rice and beans." Thank goodness he understands. So here's to lots of frozen meals, microwave dinners, and Ramen. Oh and speaking of Ramen, here's another good recipe! Cook the Ramen (Preferably chicken) and add one egg. Let the egg white cook. Don't break the yolk, yet! Add lots of hot sauce, I like Smoked Tabasco. Pour into a bowl. Break the yolk and stir! There you have it, Egg drop hot soup. Probably one of my favorite poor people's foods. Too bad I can't afford eggs. Ugh.
Well, time to enjoy the rest of my day off. It's rainy and cold outside, so maybe I'll take a shower and read. That sounds nice. Thanks for reading my post about being a poor college student. I know my mistakes with money, but how else am I ever going to learn? Leave a comment if you have any cheap recipe ideas!!! I'm always open to making yummy food for a cheap buck.

"Poor is a state of mind. Broke is, 'I'm just passing through."
-Dave Ramsey

0 comments: