Monday, April 25, 2011

Viva La Italia!!!

Ciao everyone! It's 7:30 AM and I am so tired, but I can't sleep. So of course, gotta meet me blog deadline. I feeling a little in touch with my Italian roots today, thanks Mom for that by the way. I love telling people my heritage, especially since I'm half Italian or a quarter or something like that, and I love cooking the foods from my heritage. I miss Sunday night dinners with my family because it was always pasta and red sauce! Yum! My mother has had Italian food every Christmas Eve has since she was born. True Italiano! However this past Christmas, my mother threw her hands in the air and said, "This year, we are breaking tradition!!" HHHHHHUUUHHHHHHHHH? Um I'm sorry, what? Every Christmas it's been lasagna, meatballs, homemade sauce, antipasto salad. My mother was ready for a change, something new and fun! So I jumped on the committee to help Christmas Eve dinner. We finally decided on T-Bones, Crab legs, Artichokes, and Baked Potatoes. Oh my it was finger licking good, literally! I was worried at first about this change in tradition and breaking it. I mean don't your ancestors come in while you are sleeping and yell at you telling you that you dishonor them? Ummm I guess not. Doesn't mean I didn't sleep with one eye opened that night.
I love things to have a specific place in life with a little spontaneous moments. However, my mother is one to keep tradition. I looked at her in a way. What we eat every year on Christmas Eve doesn't matter! It's the fact that we are with each other, loving one another, laughing. And good food, no matter it's traditional or not. Thanks for that lesson, Mom. Good food, good people, what else do you really need?

So that was a little bit of a tangent. I made one of my favorite things last week. Spaghetti and meat sauce with an egg on top! Yummy!!!! I made half a bag of spaghetti which was plenty! I bought a jar of fire roasted tomato sauce. For years I was always against jar sauce. Something about it freaks me out so I always made my own sauce. But I tried this one from Sunflower Market and it's amazing. Plus, I add red pepper flakes and salt and pepper to give it more of a kick. Then I brown some ground beef. Now here is the part that always throws people. I make an sunny side up or over easy egg to put on top of my pasta! Think I'm crazy? My mother said people do that in Italy all the time. True Italiano, again! And drink milk (or wine) with spaghetti and red sauce! The egg adds a wonderful creamy texture to the pasta. I love it so much!!! I suggest everyone tries at least once.

I mean really. How good does that look? I want some right now!!!

"Everything you see I owe to pasta."
-Sophie Loren

0 comments: