Thursday, June 3, 2010

Withdrawal

Hello everyone! I hope everyone is having a wonderful week and is ready for the weekend.

I'll tell you what, BBQ is in the air and it is making me a happy girl! I hope everyone is hitting the grill with those baby backs and wearing their "Kiss the Cook" aprons. On Monday, which was Memorial Day, I went to Matthew's house for dinner and his dad made us burgers and grilled corn on the cob! I have to say that it was a fun meal, and we need to grill more, Mr. Bartleson! Speaking of grilling, guess what's on my wish list! A grill. I found one on Craigslist, but if I am going to be spending money on one, I want a nice grill that will last, not the hunk of junk I found for $30.

So enough about grilling.

Time to talk about withdrawal. Withdrawal from what, you may ask. Cooking. It's been a couple weeks since I made a homemade meal for myself. Everything has been frozen food and takeout for me. It happens when you work, come home, and you are exhausted. I wish it wasn't so. I feel the most comfortable when I am cooking, it is the one thing that I feel confident about in my life. It's nice to turn to my kitchen and not only feed my body, but my mind and soul. Cooking for me is very therapeutic. It takes away all the stress and worries I may have in the world. Some people feel the complete opposite from this. They see their kitchen as battlefield, and all they have is a dull steak knife that they use for chopping their vegetables. I feel like over the past few months I have forgotten my favorite recipes and my very own. So I am going through all my cookbooks, Bon Appetit, Food Network, Everyday with Rachel Ray, and Food and Wine to find all my favorite and best recipes. I want to type it all up, organize it, and put it in a book. I feel like this will make me feel more organized, and it will be easier for me to find something NEW to cook. This is an exciting project for me, to some maybe boring, but I love making lists, reading recipes, and typing. It makes sense to me!
I am also working on a cookbook. It's still a work-in-progress. It's tough, but I am making it a goal to have it done by the end of summer, and I want to find a publisher for it, and sell it nationally, maybe Amazon or something. I want to make a chapter for my family's recipes and a chapter on friend's recipes, so if you have one you'd like to donate, let me know! All the credit will go to you.

Hmmm, all this talking about how much cooking makes me happy, makes me want to cook tomorrow night. I'm thinking Baja Shrimp and Guac. Maybe I'll post whatever recipe I come up with!

Also, tomorrow is Friday, so look out for the Question/Photo of the Week! Hmm, I wonder what will it be.

"When baking, follow directions. When cooking, go by your own taste."
-Laiko Bahrs

2 comments:

Unknown said...

A good charbroiler is a necessity in a good house. And a well used (seasoned) condition is just as important. Good luck in the search. I recommend Craiglist under the "business" heading for your commercial needs.

Madi said...

O ok! Thank you! That's a good idea, I never though of looking under the "business" section.