Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Rick Bayless

Rick Bayless. I think revolutionary, pioneer, and imaginative. He is the leading man of refining Mexican cuisine and making more than just your typical Taco Bell food. You hear of all these French foods, duck confit, sabayon, suprême, etc. Mexican cuisine has the same terms and dishes, mole, marisquera, cazuela de pato. It is incredible, but sad because when people hear the term Mexican food, they don't think sophisticated. But it is, and Chef Rick Bayless has proven it. My biggest dream is to one day meet him, dine at his famous restaurant, Frontera Grill, and maybe work for him. He won the first season of Top Chef Masters, which compiles the best of the best of Chefs from all over the country.

In class, we were assigned to write a paper on our favorite chef. Mine is, of course, Chef Bayless. He just knows how to use simple Mexican ingredients and turn them into something amazing. Maybe when I am done writing the paper I will post it on here.


Another favorite chef of mine is Chef Art Smith. He is a big, gay, loveable, southern Chef who knows a thing about southern food. He is the personal chef to Oprah Winfrey and has cooked for President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama. He is famous for is famous dish, fried chicken and waffles. Chef Smith also competed on Top Chef Masters, and came in 4th place.


I look up to these kind of Chefs. They are visionaries and artists with cutlery in their hands. One day, I will be like them, pushing the limit, and bringing my fantasies of food to life.

"You're starting to see Mexican cooking in this country evolve, but we're probably a generation away."
-Rick Bayless


2 comments:

TMFA said...

man I wish I could cook like them. I love good food!

Madi said...

I know right!
They are incredible!